Looks great from the photo's

Friday 3 August 2012

Day 75 - Baker City - DAY OFF

Day off today, lovely, but the last of the trip.  This time next week it will all be over, the journey, the cycle across America, over 4000miles.  It's going to be strange, I don't think its sunk in yet, I guess it's because there are still cycle days left.  (Just seen on the news that the Mississippi which we crossed, has been closed to ships and barges as the water level has dropped so much that they are running aground.)

So Baker City, lovely little place, friendly and pretty, not dirty and grubby. A few closed shops, but the place looked clean and well kept.  Today I just walked around the town, checked out the gold nuggets in the bank, the ice cream shop again, and just little nice shops here and there.   I picked up the bike from the shop, new back tire, a couple more inner tubes and having been given a good clean. 

The Olympics have been good, I have managed to watch a lot of it the past few days, not sure what stays are coming up though, TV or not.  We had our playoffs tonight, Great Britain Vs The Netherlands.  Both Ublad and I were drawn on gold first place.  We were given these tiny bikes which my legs kept hitting the bars, no breaks, apart from some kinda back peddling system.  There were two rounds around the ducks, a slalom course.  I lost the first by miles after I scratched my leg on the bars.  Switched bikes for the second race, this bike was even worse, but I did better on it, coming in very close.  Still, I lost that race too.  Oh well, Chris Hoy won gold in the Olympics earlier, so that's good enough :)

 Lovely little town
 Duck & Cover
 The top of main street




 Buster

 Lots of nice old signs around the city



 Ah I remember these
 Found these real jocks walking around town, the big game is this weekend



 A shop selling real cheese, vegetables, wine and good beer!
 Yep, he looked like one from the front too


 The decider.  Both drawn on gold medals, it had to be decided who would win.  Great Britain or The Netherlands.

 In the lead, but messed up on the final corer, scratching my leg on the little bike. 
 Height cost me the race.

Looser.  Still, got silver!

1 comment: